The Rain Falls Down...

...but this town never drags me down. 

Yes, last Thursday the relentless monthly carousel of EMOM nights landed once again on BLEEP in Manchester, accompanied by the kind of rain that seems at first to be far too light to be of any consequence but is actually deeply penetrating, and quickly soaks you to the bone. But dodging puddles on Newton Street, I didn't care. The performance space below the Peer Hat is warm and welcoming. 

My train was late into God's own city, and by the time I arrived and grabbed a pint, the space was already filling with familiar faces ...and an enigmatic lady in sunglasses, clad in black, and sitting still and alone, staring at the stage. 

The night wasn't as well-attended as usual, but I can safely say that before my 9pm home time called for a 6:30am Friday start, we would all be in for many diverse treats. 

First up was Neural Maker, a very interesting and creative DJ. Now, normally, I can take or leave DJs, but this guy is something else. Imagine snippets of ragtime overlaid directly with industrial and even electro swing, with more recognisable elements such as The chemical Brothers. Every idea was heavy, insanely danceable, and just the right length to keep it all bubbling along. It many ways, it's a pity he was on first in the DJ slot, because he could have had a full room all grooving away to his uniquely creative style. 

Neural Maker, adding a welcome layer of true creativity to the DJ's art.

I must digress at this point to mention that I spent a couple of teenage years doing O-level art with a teacher who played us the likes of Edgard Varesse, John Cage, and their pioneering contemporaries of musique concrete. So, when James Evans took to the stage, I was on fairly familiar territory. Soundscapes, birdsong, and snatches of hypnogogic phenomena all combined with his obvious pleasure in his creation to make for a truly disorienting set. At one or two points, I found rhythms to nod to and was pleased to find James nodding as well, but at times I lost my way and was set adrift on a vast ocean of sound. Lovely stuff.

Frightening and disorienting soundscapes from James Evans, as Mho captures the experience.

I needed another pint and a breather to collect my thoughts. When I returned, it was to EMOM favourite Electric Cafe and his upbeat blend of Industrial rock guitar. Gosh, he had a lot of cool toys on the table, and made a lovely racket reminiscent to these old ears of Nitzer Ebb or DAF. A very engaging and raucous set. 

Reliable EMOM stalwart Electric Cafe with an enviable collection of toys

Still Forever had some initial mic problems but soldiered on with a solid set of beats and samples of ethnic instruments overlaid with dark and powerful lyrics. Unfortunately, my bladder got the better of me here, and I was waylaid upstairs waiting for the gents, but I WILL give a proper report the next time I see Still Forever play.

Still forever: I promise I will give a full account the very next time I see her play.

And what of the enigmatic lady in the sunglasses? She was none other than Woman's Touch - the next act. She said her sound is "about my miserable life", but what a sound! Beginning with hard-as-nails EBM, her sound is stylish and very danceable. However, from the second song onwards, she decided to dispense with the laptop, and just played keys and sing. How many acts can spontaneously pivot an entire performance like that? I know I can't. Anyway, what followed was an incredibly strong performance. She has a great voice and I look forward to seeing her again.

the enigmatic and highly proficient Woman's Touch belting it out
And so, inevitably, it was suddenly time to leave again. I trudged back through the rain to Piccadilly and home. Despite the lower than average turnout, I can safely say all bases were covered for musical styles this evening, and there was definitely something for everyone. With BLEEP being curated, I'm sure the evening progressed in similar fashion, with diversity and musical passion going hand in hand.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips for a Growing Movement...

And So It Begins...Or, where it all went wrong.

In the Loop...