Gigus Interuptus!

It was back to Stoke last week to Electric Tentacle at the Captain's Bar, the scene of our EMOM debut last December. This time, I'd managed to secure the offer of a lift from a curious old school friend, keen to find out what goes on at these things, and to hear the kind of racket Libby and I make. 

The Electric Tentacle, all set up and ready to rock...

 Now, I should point out that this friend of mine is something high up in the traffic department of Stockport Council, and had that weekend's Stockport County FC homecoming parade to plan for the following morning (meetings with the police, the organisers, business representatives, residents, etc, to plan which streets would be closed and when, how the traffic would be re-routed and to where, and so on. Basically a lot of organising, detail and faff to sort through) so he'd have to leave at 22:30 at the latest to get into work for 7am. Fine, it was only 7pm when we arrived.

The gig was slow to begin, and a couple of acts had pulled out, but when it did, we were treated to Marcel Holdys and what sounded to my ears like a completely improvised experimental glitch set. Innovative, rapid, and in slightly strange time signatures. That's glitch! I'd have liked to hear more to understand where he can take that sound, but alas he only played a couple of numbers. 

Marcel Holdys. I am a terrible photographer. This is the only non-blurred image I captured of him at work.

Next up was La French with a set of chilled out, sophisticated, almost ambient beats. Someone at one point mentioned that it sounded "Very French" and I have to agree, but I don't really know why. He has a smooth, satisfying sound I could listen to a lot.

 

Bonjour, La French! Avec un son doux et satisfaisant.

After a long break, Mango Thomas finally got his trestle table covered with equipment set up on the dance floor, then ploughed into an extended set (by prior arrangement) of tracks spanning tribal dance to frenetic drum and bass with live bass. Just as happened the last time I saw him perform, at Bleep in February, he suffered a technical malfunction. This time, the XLR lead to his mic began to cut out. After much jiggery pokery vocals were restored and he completed his marathon set. 

Mango Thomas, just before technical difficulties struck...

Then it was the turn of Disastrous Robots, an act I've wanted to catch for some time. I liked what I heard immensely. Distinct influences came through, such as Massive Attack and early Tangerine Dream, to name but two. A lovely piece of work that felt like a complete composition. Very satisfying.

The brilliant Disastrous Robots, with a sublime sound.
 

By now, it was 22:30. My friend said OK, I can stop for just your set, but we MUST be on the road immediately after you finish. No problem. I put my kitbag onstage and went to pee. That turned out to be a big mistake. 

When I returned, the Flesh Eating Foundation had quickly set up and was preparing to play! I reminded Andy, one of the organisers, that we were on borrowed time. After conversing with the other act, it turned out he also had to leave soon, so could we go on after him? Unfortunately not. This was the very last slot I could do. If I didn't play now, I couldn't play tonight. My lift already had his keys in his hand, and was only sticking around to hear what kind of din Libby and I make, so with the greatest of regrets etc...

I must make it absolutely clear at this point, dear reader, that there did seem to have been a genuine miscommunication here, and Andy and the other organiser Colin were very apologetic. Them's the breaks sometimes. 

Andy followed us out of the venue and did a very courteous thing. He offered to have Libby and I back next month for the second Electric Tentacle anniversary party, and offered me his performance slot, which as very good of him indeed. When he told me who was already booked to play, what could I say? It will be an honour to rattle your windows, sir!

So, that was it. Back to Darkest Cheshire in a fug, or rather, a Toyota. I was disappointed not to have played, and my friend was blaming himself for having to leave, but he has the kind of responsibilities in his job that most of us spend a lifetime dodging. Besides, no one dies if we don't play. It's all good.

In the words of Dave "Mho" Walker, next month's Tentacle will be a hoot.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips for a Growing Movement...

And So It Begins...Or, where it all went wrong.

In the Loop...